Click here to go to the Brad News Store at CafePress.
Custom Search
Design and Sell Merchandise Online for Free

Monday, April 27, 2009

Konami Ain't Doin' Six Days In Fallujah

According to Game Politics, the Iraq War game, "Six Days in Fallujah" was dropped by Konami. Personally, I've kind of got mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I would have liked to see a realistic take on the current War in Iraq. On the other hand, I do think it would be hard on the veterans and their families. It sparked quite a bit of controversy, especially when it was found out they had interviewed insurgents to help the game.

In the end, I think Konami did the right thing, at least for them. It's a very sensitive topic and there was a lot of room for them to really make themselves look bad. Controversy does sell, but you don't want a bunch of people boycotting your other games and I'm afraid that might have actually happened. Usually, I think most people that get mad at games wouldn't buy video games in the first place, but I think this time there were some that played video games that were offended. I'm glad that it was their decision and not some government's decision to not release this game. If you don't like what a company is doing, voice your opinions and if there is enough of people that feel the same as you do, they will cave in. The customer is always right and money talks. It sucks for people that wanted to play this game, but I think a system where companies cancel their own projects and censor themselves is MUCH better than government run censors. It would be better if we lived in a world where nobody could get offended, but I think we're far from that.

I'm not sure of the entire details about this game being dropped and maybe someone else will pick it up. I doubt it, but if they do, I'll let you know. You can read more about my earlier take on the game here.

No comments: